Another satisfied FD3S RX-7 customer! Finished up this set of knuckles this week and just delivered them. They are Formula D spec custom knuckles that I offer for all chassis. If you want to drift it I can do the knuckles and setup the chassis!
Finished up a bunch of front end work to the motorcycle, lowered it, put on clip-ons, new brembo radial master cylinder, new headlight with integrated turn signals, all in one acewell gauge cluster and a lot of re-wiring. It really changed the whole looked of the bike and makes it so much more fun to ride with the clip-ons. Next up will be fitting my spoked wheels so I can get them relaced with 18″ front and 16″ rear rims and put some more aggressive tires on this thing.
Oh yeah and I chopped the front fender and painted the fender and tank.
I finished up the exhaust on the XV920 cafe racer project today. It’s all mandrel bent TIG welded stainless steel. The muffler is a supertrapp with adjustable baffles so I can play with the back pressure and sound level to get something loud enough to enjoy it and not so loud my neighbors are pissed when I leave for work at 6 am. The exhaust came out really clean I’m super happy about the fit and finish and I even tried some new techniques like making a double slip flange for the rear cylinder so there is no ugly band clamp on it. I have it disassembled now and it’s going out for satin black ceramic coat. I’m a little sad about hiding all the beautiful welds with the ceramic coating but I think the black will look really nice on the bike.
The cafe racer project is coming along quite quickly which makes me happy! More time riding and less time building. I have a bad habit of spending soooo much time on the build that I never get to enjoy the car/bike so this project was meant to be done quickly and kept running as much as possible. I cleaned up the bike a lot. I have a huge pile of parts under my workbench and they probably add up to 60-80lbs of unneeded junk. I took off the rear fender/grab bar, glove box, rear tailight and signals and replaced everything with an integrated LED light. Took the stock painted air box cover off and replaced it with a custom mounted open element k&n air filter. Made a custom battery box under the seat to mount a ballistic battery so I could remove the painted cover of the right side and the giant stock battery. With everything removed and relocated the bike looks completely different. So much better! It’s coming along nicely and the rear and sides are done so just on to the front cleanup and I can ride it the way it is until I change up the seat and tank.
This weekend I had a customer that just picked up a full set of Battleversion arms including the newly designed front lower control arms. As always Alex Pfiefer’s arms are very high quality and we always recommend them at the shop. This set of knuckles is cut a little differently then the last set I posted. I have a couple different specs that I use depending on what the customer is looking for out of the car and their power level. This set is the pro version with very low Ackerman and massive angle ability. This week a lot of time will be spent making everything clear so the customer can actually use this forklift angle but when everything is all done and aligned for next weeks competition the car will have gangster angle!
I picked up a new cafe racer project the other day. I’ve been looking for another form of semi reliable transportation because I hate relying solely on the 510 to get me around and I have always believed that two semi reliable vehicles is as good as one reliable vehicle! It is a 1982 Yamaha Virago XV920r it is chain driven and has a more standard seating position then the shaft driven cruiser style Virago. It’s completely stock and only one owner bike, came with brand new tires and a recent tune up so I feel like it was a great deal. Bike runs great I’ve been riding it everyday and loving it. On with the pics and some inspiration of what I’m going for when it’s all finished.